Monday, March 17, 2008

The Shekhawati Region

After a good night sleep we were up early morning on the 2nd day of our trip for the visual splendor. We were ready by 8:00 a.m after the good continental breakfast.

We visited various Haveli's constructed by wealthy business men in the nineteenth century in the Shekhawati region. These Havelies are decorated with colored painting adorning their walls. But as the merchant families migrated, these visual attractions did not fade away and today they are some of the major attractions for the tourists visiting Rajasthan.




Next we visited Mandwa's imposing fort, right in the center. Castle Mandwa was build in 1755 by Thakur Nawal singh, a descendant of Rao Shekha, the founder of Shekhawati. Two imposing gateways lead to the central courtyard where cannons stand as a reminder of the past when they were used to repel the enemy. The palace in the fort hosts beautiful paintings. At present it is converted into the most famous hotel in the region.




From Mandwa we moved to Fathepur. The town is packed with elaborately painted mansions, temples, wells and chhatris. The Hawelis in this region depict the scenes from Mahabarath and Ramayana.

With this due to shortage of time we decided to travel to Bikaner, the camel country.

Distance: Mandwa ---> Bikaner is 164 kms

P.S: Shekhavti comprises of important towns like Mandwa, Fathepur, Jhunjhunu, Nawalgarh.

22 comments:

indicaspecies said...

My first time to your blog and with my interest in travels, I like what I get here.

Will drop in often to read more of what you have to offer.:)

Rajesh said...

Thank You.
I will try to update my blog more frequently

BLOGitse said...

Happy CC weekend!
In India life IS colourful without Color Carnival!!! LOL!
Have a great week!

http://BLOGitsePHOTOS.blogspot.com

Coffeedoff said...

The decoration is amazing, I'm not surprised that is is a tourist attraction.

Vicki ~ FL said...

Beautiful architecture and that castle has some beautiful colors.

Kranky Granny said...

If it were not for post like yours I would never get the chance to become a world traveler.

Thanks for letting me hitch a ride on your travels.

Dimple said...

Very colorful and ornate decorations on the first building. It's quite something to look at!

Martha said...

I sure hope everyone clicks on the photo to see all that beautiful color and detail. Wonderful! :-)

Rajesh said...

BLOGitse, Coffeedoff, Vicki, Rita, Dimple, Martha: Thanks for the appreciation.

Liz said...

I have to agree with everyone that the decoration is amazing.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos with us.

Happy MYM.

Liz @ MLC

RNSANE said...

As always, Rajesh, your pictoral displays of beautiful places to visit in Rajasthan are amazing and such a lure to your country.

Dani said...

I like your posts. As always so informative. Thank you

Have a great day!

Kim, USA said...

Amazingly beautiful, Rajesh. Thanks for sharing!

Blueberry Lane

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I am teaching my students Ancient Eygpt, I am sure Indian has just as many wonderous things.

Rajesh said...

Liz, Rnsane, Dani, Kim, Ann: Thanks for the appreciation.

EG CameraGirl said...

You live in a very rich and old civilization, which all your posts demonstrate.

Siromade said...

A colorful castle, always a beautiful photos.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I don't think I can afford to stay in such an exquisite hotel. Did you stay in it?

Dianne said...

beautiful shots as always
so much detail captured in every frame

Wifey10 said...

Nice building, looks so old yet sturdy. I like Idian culture, very traditional and I so like Indian wedding :)

reg said...

amazing, these buildings are beautiful

Rajesh said...

EG Wow, Siromade, Dianne, Wifey10, reg: Thanks for all the appreciation.

Ann: Thanks, I did stay in this place for a change.