Aurangabad city located in Maharastra is more than 2200 years old and was known by many other names in the past like Rajtadak or Fatehbad. It was given the present name by the Moghul ruler Aurangzeb. The entire city was fortified with the erection of huge entrance gates. Due to this it is known as "City of Gates". Today only 13 gates have survived test of time out of 54 gates.
This place is famous for Himroo and Paithani Sarees. These sarees have gold & silver threads woven in silk fabric. There are many interesting places around the city. The places that I had covered during my visit of the city are:
- Bibi-Ka-Maqbara a mausoleum which is a replica of Taj Mahal
- The 12th century, Devagiri Fort (13kms from the city)
- 2nd century B.C rock cut caves of Ajanta (110kms from the city)
- 5th century B.C rock cut caves of Ellora (29kms from the city)
- Ghrishneshwar Temple (30kms from the city)